February 11, 2009

War!

During one of my pastor's sermons a couple of weeks ago, he read 2 Corinthians 10:3-5:

3For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Though I've heard this passage many times throughout my life, this particular time it struck me that this passage means more than I first realized. I think I've often assumed that this passage, particularly verse 3, only is meant to point out that we do not fight a physical war, but a spiritual one.


And though that is true, I realize now that this verse means more than that. This verse can apply to all areas in which we "war" in this world. I think specifically of how this verse could apply to the debates we may have with the world- the war of ideas.

To war according to the flesh in the war of ideas would be to do so with hostility, arrogance, condescension, and anger. It would also mean that we would argue without listening to the other side and try to attack not only the other person's argument, but also their character and credibility.

Conversely, if we are to debate in such a way that we are not warring according to the flesh, then we will defend our ideas with graciousness, humility, and kindness, affirming what we can about the other person while patiently pointing out the flaws of the other side. We will do our best to listen to the concerns of others and not immediately shut out their ideas. And we will focus solely on the arguments themselves, not on attacking the person.

Anyway, that's just one way I believe this verse can be applied and in the future I'm sure that I will only come to see that it means more than I've seen now. Just one more testimony to how God's Word goes much deeper than the surface.

0 comments:

ShareThis

 

© 2009Mind in Renewal | by TNB